Saturday, January 10, 2015

Keeping it simple...

 Hey there, I hope you are enjoying the summer holidays. 

I was inspired by Louise’s keep it simple approach from the other day.  I had a look around my scrap table to see what was sitting there then I took that “don’t over think it” approach with some Glimmer Mists. I am a notorious, self confessed, need-to-just-step-away-and-leave-it-alone scrapper so this was a challenge for me. I DID change my mind on the photo, so bearing in mind it took about 15 minutes to upload my second choice of photo, edit it and print it this layout still only took me about 45 minutes in total... including drying time. That’s like a land speed record for me. I admit that most of my pages sit on my scrap desk for days (even weeks) before I finally settle on the design and glue them down.

First up I found a piece of 12x12 white American Crafts cardstock, a good old letter stencil and some white gesso. I smeared the gesso carefully to just get the numbers. I then turned the stencil over and sort of stamped the excess randomly across the page on the left of the page (towards the top left of where my photo would sit). You don't need THIS stencil... anything will work... think outside the box. ;)




Next I found MY skinny masking tape, that my darling daughter keeps stealing, in her room! Any washi tape will work here too. I just added a couple of strips of that under the stenciled numbers and again top left of the photo. I also found that netting stuff sitting in a scrap pile. I don’t even know what it is... but seriously, just use whatever you have... scrap papers, ribbon, fibres, fabric or gauze would work equally as well.


I let the gesso dry and then added a few sprays of lighter coloured Glimmer Mists. These are the ones I used but any colours that you like will work. Tomorrow's Memories stocks a great range of gorgeous colours.


Start off with the lightest colours then work towards the darker. Be conservative with the darker colours so they don’t overwhelm the page. I do a few spritzes (is that even a word?) from up high... about 50cm above my page... then for that darker colour I got closer to the page. When the spray pools you can move your page to manipulate how it drizzles down the page. I also added a few more "splatters" by taking the nozzle out of the bottle and flicking the straw at the page. Have a practice on some scrap... but again... it's supposed to be random. Don't over think it! ;)


Then I found a clock stamp that I thought was lost! Yay me! I used StayzOn Timber Brown Ink... but I THOUGHT it was black... (the back story is my air conditioner  died on that hideously hot day on Monday and so I have the house in darkness to try to stay cool!)... This in turn is the reason I chose the sepia coloured photo... I think it would have looked better with black ink and a black and white photo... but there I go, over thinking again!  Anyway, I added a few stamps of the clocks. I don’t bother with an acrylic block for this type of stamping and I don’t be too careful with how I ink my stamp. I want it to look a bit random... very subtle... not perfect.




I also had a Tim Holtz Distress Stain dauber... press it on to some scrap paper to get lots of ink into the sponge then hit it really hard onto your project to get that splatter effect. (You might like to have a practice and do this with some newspaper spread about or in a three sided splatter box... needless to say I now have splatter up the wall).  This one was Antique Photo but there are prettier colours... and even metallics. Check in store.



Next I simply coloured my Your Creative Wings chipboard pieces with the Tim Holtz Antique Photo Stain and attached them with Glossy Accents. I adore this little bird with his tiny crown and the printer's pointing hand



 Last of all I attached my photo. Done. Even “messy” can be simple. ;)

Happy scrapping.

Anne-Marie
xxxooo 

No comments: